Tuesday 8 January 2013

Happy New Year!

My name's Mark and I'm a Bad Allotmenter!

I love my allotment, but with 3 kids under 7 and a job that sometimes demands all my time for weeks on end, I haven't been doing a very good job with it recently. I've had it for 4 or 5 years now, and it's definitely in far better shape than it was when I took it over. There are fruit bushes across the bottom of the plot that are quite established (it's on the side of a hill) and some of the beds have wooden borders (not raised), but the messy area up by the hedge is full of bindweed and totally out of control, and I haven't been up there since November. 
In fact I've just remembered that not only have I not pruned the bushes (an autumn job right?) but i totally forgot to dig up the dahlia tuber I was so excited about last year (until it got trashed by the slugs) so I guess that's a write off too. And there are some leeks I should be checking on ...

SEE! ....  Bad Allotmenter!!

I'm hoping that writing this painfully honest account of how I do this year will spur me on to be better, and maybe even encourage me as I look back. Plus, if I end up with any readers they could help me with some tips on how to keep weeds under control, tackle my worst enemy - the slugs, and even use commas correctly!

Right .... I'll be in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment